report no.: 020
location: Grabfeld 64, Zentralfiedhof, Lichentberg
25 January 1919: Karl Liebknecht, Rosa Luxemburg are buried at
Zentralfriedhof Friedrichsfeld. The burial turns into a massive
1920s: KPD decides to build a memorial monument called Revolutionsdenkmal
at Grabfeld 64 for Liebknecht, Luxemburg and all who died in the
1924: Laying of the foundation stone for the Revolutionsdenkmal
by Wilhelm Pieck; architect: Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. The memorial
is built out of faulty bricks; the money for the transport of the
bricks is raised by selling postcards picturing a model of the monument,
with the KPD badge etc. The bricks were supposed to remind you that
many people are shot against walls; Revolutionsdenkmal is a wall
of 12m long, 4m wide, 6m high.
13 June 1926: Unveiling of the Revolutionsdenkmal on the 7th anniversary
of the death of Luxemburg.
1933: Last large demonstration against fascist regime at the Revolutionsdenkmal.
Three people (Alfred Kollatsch, Paul Schulz, Erwin Berner) are killed
by the Nazis. Nazis use the monument as a trap for persecuting communists
and social democrats.
January 1935: Revolutionsdenkmal is demolished by the Nazis, earlier
the monument has been vandalised by the Nazis by stealing the red
star. The red flag is saved, however, and finds a home at the Museum
für Deutsche Geschichte in 1952.
June 1941: At the site of the Revolutionsdenkmal new graves are
set up. Liebknecht's body may still be there. Documentation of the
desecration of the monument by photographer Etsuji Sumiya; grave
stones of Liebknecht und Luxemburg are saved and today standing
at the Museum für Deutsche Geschichte.
1946–1950: Tradition of memorial day for Liebnecht and Luxemburg
1951: New memorial monument called 'Gedenkstätte der Sozialisten
is built in the front entrance area of the Zentralfriedhof. Fake
tombs for Luxemburg, Liebknecht and other heroes of the revolution
or the DDR state are arranged around a central column. The outer
circle is decorated with salvaged grave stones of other communists
from the revolutionary era and memorial plaques for party officials.
1983: Memorial monument commemorating the earlier monument is built
over the remaining foundations of the destroyed Revolutionsdenkmal.
Architects: Günter Stahn, Gerhard Thieme.
A bronze plaque depicts the orginial Revolutionsdenkmal (by Ludwig
Mies van der Rohe) in rielief shown. On the board it says: "Auf
diesem Fundament stand das Revolutionsdenkmal für Karl Liebknecht,
Rosa Luxemburg und viele andere revolutionaere Kämpfer der
Deutschen Arbeiterbewegung. 1926 errichtet von der Kommunistischen
Partei Deutschlands nach Plänen von Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
1935 von den Faschisten zerstört."
2005: site no longer designated as Grabfeld 64
13 May 2005: INS Aerial Reconnaissance carried out by AA